Tuesday, July 12, 2011

old people young people

I'm slowly breaking my reading habit into a more modern era.  This is something that I view as an improvement to what I take in.  Instead of reading books by dead/way old white guys, I've been sucking down shorter articles, essays, stories and novels by people within my age group.  It seems necessary.  While of course a bunch of wisdom or knowledge or bullshit or nonsense can come from the geriatrically challenged, it's nice to wrangle some words from people outside of that demographic.

It helps to see things be put in a modern context.  There's nothing wrong with Facebook or eBay being written into texts (at least according to the current cultural climate.  Obviously that shit is going to be dated as hell within 8 years), and it's refreshing to have these things represented as they are.  I suppose a lot of writing is being done on the internet anyway, so there's no point in purposefully ignoring it's impact on one's daily habits.  Check your blog, tweet some bulljive, update banalities of living.  It's ok.  We do these things.  No need to spraypaint a sloppy shit.  Let it cover the bowl in style.  Document it flowing over the seat.  Take a Polaroid and paste it above the toilet handle.  Bring a mason jar into the bathroom and bottle the smell so you can bust it out at a party like a sick card trick.

Really I just want to read things that are not only thematically and metaphorically relevant to me, but also physically and currently.  I want to dive into your shitty job and shitty car, and the night you got really shitty at a stupid bar and spent $27 on the jukebox, listening to 90's nu metal for a laugh, but no one else thought it was funny.  For now, I just need a break from a cafe in France or a farmtown in the 1920's.  I want big dumps turned to words.

No comments:

Post a Comment